Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cleaning Green

I don't know how many of you have taken the leap and converted to naturally derived plant-based cleaning products, but I think it is an important step in becoming more environmentally conscious, and here are some reasons why.

I'm here to give you a quick review of the products I've tried and prefer.

1) GreenWorks Natural All-purpose Cleaner (simply tangerine scent) - contains no phosphorus or bleach, great for general cleaning.

2) GreenWorks Natural Biodegradable Cleaning Wipes (original scent) - I like that these are biodegradable, and thus compostable. I'd like them even more if I had a yard and garden for composting. The packaging is also 25% recycled plastic, which is nice. However, compared to cleaning wipes with harsh chemicals, these are definitely a lot drier. I almost always squirt some all-purpose cleaner around before I wipe with the wipes.

3) GreenWorks Naturally Derived Laundry Detergent - leaves clothes clean and smelling great. Enough said.

4) Seventh Generation Natural Tub and Tile Cleaner (emerald cypress and fir) - I really like the scent, and it cleans very well. Again, recycled packaging, always a plus.

5) Seventh Generation Natural Dish Liquid - I've tried other natural dish soaps in the past, and I always felt like I had to keep squirting more on the sponge to get the job done. This one is very bubbly and foamy, and cleans a sinkful with one liberal squirt.

6) Nature's Source Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner - This is made by Scrubbing Bubbles. Same credentials as the other cleaners, it's my go-to TBC.

7) Nature's Source Natural Glass and Surface Cleaner - Made by Windex, this is the only natural glass cleaner I've tried that that does not leave streaks, which is definitely a must.

I'm so happy that so many companies have jumped on the natural ingredients bandwagon, though Seventh Generation definitely blazed the trail. What's more, I've found that all of these products are comparable price-wise to their chemical counterparts.

Bonus: There are coupons available on the GreenWorks website, and if you become a member of the Seventh Generation Nation, they send you coupons via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment