Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Small Summertime Secrets

We don't have air conditioning in our current apartment, so it has become important to figure out some cool recipes that don't require much stove useage. G and I try to eat as healthily as possible, using a lot of veggies and fresh herbs. Here are two easy, healthy pasta recipes we've been eating a lot of lately. Keep in mind, I don't really measure ingredients, I just eyeball it.

Mozza Pasta (G named it, and wants to eat it almost every day)
- whole wheat pasta (enough for however many people you are serving)
- fresh mozzerella, cut into bite size pieces
- fresh basil, torn
- cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- extra virgin olive oil (just a tiny bit)
- fresh ground sea salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and toss with remaining ingredients (be sure to add only a little bit of oil, otherwise it overwhelms the dish). Can be served hot or cold.

Mediterranean Pasta Salad (I make it over the weekend to use for lunch all week)
- one bag/box whole wheat pasta
- 1 can artichoke hearts, packed in water and chopped
- handful of sundried tomatoes, dry packed and chopped
- sprinkle of low fat feta cheese (I use the block from Trader Joe's)
- balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil (just enough to coat pasta)
- fresh ground sea salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to package direction. Drain, and run cold water over pasta to cool. Toss with remaining ingredients and serve.

Ladies, I've also learned some really great leg/butt exercises just in time for swimsuit season. I wanted to try to find pictures online, but was unable to...hopefully my explanations will be clear. Complete the series of 3 exercises with the same leg, then switch sides (2-3x).

1) Leg Circles: Lie on a flat surface on your side, legs stacked. Slowly circle your top leg (large circles) for 10 reps forward, and 10 reps backward.

2) Leg Extensions: Lie on a flat surface on your side, legs stacked, knees bent. Lift both ankles 6-10 inches off the floor. Extend your top leg up and straighten, while keeping the bottom ankle raised and bottom knee bent. Bring your top leg back to stack on the bottom leg, leading with your knee. Repeat 10 times.

3) Leg Hinges: Start in the same position as the second exercise. Keeping your ankles together, lift the top knee and extend as far as you can, opening your legs like a hinge. Bring your top knee back to starting postion. Repeat 10 times.

My most recent trainer taught me these exercises, and I'm telling you, THEY ALWAYS BURN. I am trying to complete them faithfully each day, and my legs never get used to it. And, I've noticed a positive difference.

Happy making/burning calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment