Sunday, August 1, 2010

Green Energy for the Tri-State

Despite our best efforts, sometimes our carbon footprints are larger than we think. A lot of the impact comes from energy we use in our homes. I've turned into my parents, frantically turning off lights that aren't in use. I've changed all my lightbulbs, use less heat in the winter/AC in the summer when I have control of it, etc. Carbon offsets were a consideration, but to be honest I find they are kind of confusing.

I've recently caught wind (you'll get the pun later) of a power company that offers green energy to our area. Viridian offers environmentally sustainable energy at a savings to its customers. New Jersey mandates that every electrical supplier obtain around 8% of their electrical load from renewable resources. Viridian's rate plans claim to obtain a minimum of 20% from renewable resources, and also has a 100% renewable resource option.

I believe it's a win-win for everyone: lower your impact while saving some green. We plan to switch to Viridian once we buy one of these (which is hopefully soon!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lauren! Your readers can switch today! All they need to do is visit http://www.viridian.com/123viridian and they can sign up within 5 minutes. Savings on utility bills is really as easy as 1-2-3.

    ReplyDelete